Saturday, December 1, 2007

Alright, new Sociological theory


Here is where my brain is at with the moment.

Japan and the United States have a very similar lifestyle. We have similar jobs, similar houses, similar cars, similar toys, etc. We are not agrarian societies for the most part, we are high tech, mobile, and in the information age.

I think that is why our countries often look similar.

However, within that infrastructure, I believe that Japanese society, and the way in which Japanese people interact with each other, is nearly the complete opposite to Americans in the United States. I think I am often surprised and shocked by things, because I feel much of the time like I am in the United States, and I have expectations already developed for that paradigm for how people will behave.

But Japanese people are gloriously not American. They interact with each other, and me, and and their material surrounding's in completely different ways.

Why is that important?

Since we are in such similar environments, I believe that we can learn a lot from each other and be able to integrate what we learn into our daily lives. Its all well and good to be in agrarian South America and try to learn about their lifestyles, but it is extremely difficult to integrate much of the wisdom you learn from these societies into the very different lifestyle that you have in the United States.

Since the USA and Japan have such similar infrastructures, we can easily integrate what we learn from each other.

Let me think of good examples, and I will post it up.

No comments: