Saturday, December 1, 2007

I will work at Google.


Whether it is your career, your family, your hobby, or your health, goals direct your path and give you the drive to walk it. While I have a great deal of entrepeneural spirit, I definatly will work for an established company for a good portion of my career period for a number of reasons, some of which are.

1. To learn from the wisdom of their experiences and mistakes
2. To enjoy the finantial security of an established company
3. To meet and learn from coworkers

I do not want to work for just any company though. I want to work for a company that is progressive, treats its employees well, respects its customers, respects the envoirnment, respects diversity, is innovative, is high tech, is in the San Francisco Bay Area, is moving up in the world, recruits interesting people... I want to work for Google an be a part of their culture.

But what can I offer Google as an employee? Obviously I need to be of value to Google in order to be hired. I am not a software coder, so whats the deal? Well, I want to be a product manager.

I love creating products. I love seeing ideas from conception to completion. I love being a craftsperson. I love giving people what they want, even when they did not know that they wanted it. I love marketing. I love buisness. I love the big picture. I love product devlopment.

Is it strange for a person to pick what company they want to work for before they even graduate? No, I dont think so. This will allow me to better tailor my education and lifestyle in order to be in a place to be optimally competitive to aquire the job that I want. I am a product, the goal is to sell my self to google as an employee, as such I need to be devloped apropriately.

Thats my goal, and I am working on it.

-Colleen

No comments: